Customers using the Canvas learning management system can embed content from their product directly into their courses. For more information, please refer to the Canvas External App Overview article.
Canvas is available for the following products:
- African-American History
- American History
- American Indian History
- Ancient and Medieval History
- Bloom's Literature
- Health Reference Center
- Modern World History
- Science Online
- World Religions Online
- Access Video On Demand
- Classroom Video On Demand
- Films On Demand
- Access Video On Demand Just For Kids
The new app provides rich integration between your product and your Canvas courses. Users of Canvas will now be able to embed product resources directly inside their courses, without having to leave the LMS. This plugin is LTI based and integrates directly into the standard Canvas HTML editor.
Prerequisites for Installing the Canvas External App:
- You must have your own instance of Canvas.
- You must have an active product subscription.
- Your LTI Access Key and Secret - can be obtained from your product support.
External App Installation:
- Login to your Canvas instance as an administrator with access to install and configure apps.
- Select your course and then select the Settings menu. This can be added to individual courses, or to all courses in an account. Once configured, you can link to them through course modules and create assignments for assessment tools.
- From Settings, select the Apps tabs at the top.
- From the Apps tab, enter the product name in the Filter by Name box.
- Click on the product logo and then the button for Add App.
- From the pop-out window enter the "Consumer Key" and "Shared Secret" you obtained from support, then click Add App.
If everything was setup correctly, you will now see the product icon in the Canvas editor (sown at the top of this page).